About Fort Roberdeau
Fort Roberdeau is a Blair County Park located in the scenic Sinking Valley in Pennsylvania, not too far from Altoona Pa.The park grounds are open year round. The reconstructed fort is open during the spring, summer and fall. It is the site of several events, recreational activities, and school field trips throughout the year. Please check the Visit section of this site for a listing, and for hours of operation.
The fort, also known as The Lead Mine Fort, is a reconstruction of the original fort that stood here in the 18th Century. The original fort was built in 1778, during the American Revolution to help supply the Continental forces with lead for ammunition. The original fort was built of horizontal logs with a bastion at each corner. It was a cabin fort, with 48 cabins in the initial structure, which helped reinforce the walls. General Daniel Roberdeau organized and paid for the construction. It protected local lead mining activities, as well as local settlers from the Native Americans and Tories in the region..
Efforts were made in 1939-41 to reconstruct the fort with support from the National Youth Administration. With the outbreak of World War II the plans were put on hold. In 1974 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The stockade was finally reconstructed as a Bicentennial project in 1975-76. The fort is open to the public. It is administered and owned by the County of Blair, PA.
The fort consists of a reconstructed fort and 5 buildings along with a smelter. Also on the grounds is a restored barn (1859) which serves as visitor center, a restored farmhouse (ca. 1860), a sinkhole, a trail system, and a log house (2012) built in the style of a frontier house. There are currently plans for a playground to be added to the grounds.
Website: Fort Roberdeau